POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Get image file name from the code : Re: Get image file name from the code Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:35:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Get image file name from the code
From: Alain
Date: 26 Aug 2007 11:12:44
Message: <46d1986c@news.povray.org>
Zoly nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/08/26 07:37:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to know the final name of the image file that is being
> created from the code?
>
> I want to preprocess a series of frames and store the radiosity information
> (save_file option) in a different file for each frame so that I can reuse
> them later in the same serie of frames at a higher quality. I would like the
> radiosity file to have the same name than the image file but with a
> diffreent extension but I can't imagine how can i get the file image name
> (my_image001.bmp, for instance).
>
> Thanks,
> Zoly

The image's name is the same as that of the scene file.
scene.pov -> scene.bmp
Unless you specificaly set it to something else.

In the case of an animation, it's:
scene.pov -> scene01.bmp, scene02.bmp, scene03.bmp,...
If your animation is up to 9 frames, it use 1 digit.
If your animation is 10 to 99 frames, it use 2 digits.
If your animation is 100 to 999 frames, it use 3 digits...
To save the radiosity data for each frame, you need to specify the naming yourself:
save_file concat("Some_name",str(frame_number,-2,0),".rad")
will create files of the format:
Some_namexx.rad

You can change the file format by using some command-line parameter: +fn set the
output as PNG for example. You can add this to the main ini file to set it for
all produced images: add a line with "+fn" to povray.ini. PNG is lossless and a
LOT smaller than BMP. You can't set the output to JPG. Read the documentation
for the supported image formats and the coresponding switches.

--
Alain
Scientology: If shit happens, see "Dianetics", p.157.